Updated for 2021
Thinking about moving to Orem, Utah? We don’t blame you! Orem is a clean and uber-livable city located right between Provo and Lindon. Orem residents also enjoy easy access to the Provo Canyon and unparalleled views of Utah Lake.
Whether you’re young, old, adventurous, or reserved, you should never leave finding your next great home to chance. There are close to twenty-thousand incorporated cities in the United States, so there are lots of diverse opportunities and possibilities. Settling on just one can prove difficult.
Use this moving guide for everything you need to know about living, working, and playing in Orem, UT.
Learn about living in Orem:
- Population in Orem
- Neighborhoods in Orem
- Orem Crime Rates
- Orem Schools and Scores
- Homes for Sale in Orem
- Apartments in Orem
- Orem Cost of Living
- Things To Do in Orem, Utah
- Orem Commuting & Public Transit
- Cheap Self Storage in Orem
Orem is made up of 22 different neighborhoods. It covers just over 18 (18.24) square miles and sits at an altitude of 4,771.7 ASL. Average temperatures hover around 89 degrees in the summer and 45 degrees in the winter. The area is host to more than 436 restaurants, numerous shopping areas, and offers many fun things to do nearby.
Population of Orem, Utah
Orem is the 5th largest city in Utah and it’s thriving! Based on findings from the 2020 Census, Orem is home to a population of 98,624 people, which is about a 0.41% growth from the previous year. In terms of demographics, 89.57% of the population is white, and the median age remains at 26.5. Families with children under 18 make up most of Orem’s population. Also, most people in Orem are religious! Over 90% of Orem’s citizens are members of the Mormon Church.
Neighborhoods in Orem
Moving to a new city has its advantages, and one of them is that you get the opportunity to choose which neighborhood you live in and what kinds of people you’re regularly in touch with. Smaller towns and cities lack the options that Orem provides, but many larger places also fail to offer the friendly, safe, family-oriented neighborhoods that Orem boasts.
Below is a list of all the neighborhoods located in Orem:
- Aspen Neighborhood – 1,000 Households
- Canyon View Neighborhood – 1,500 Households
- Cascade Neighborhood – 1,400 Households
- Cherryhill Neighborhood – 1,200 Households
- Geneva Heights Neighborhood – 2,000 Households
- Heatheridge Neighborhood – 1,000 Households
- Hillcrest Neighborhood – 1,650 Households
- Lakeridge Neighborhood – 1,600 Households
- Lakeview Neighborhood – 1,200 Households
- Northridge Neighborhood – 1,000 Households
- Orem East Neighborhood – 1,000 Households
- Orem North Neighborhood – 1,000 Households
- Orem Park Neighborhood – 2,000 Households
- Orem Neighborhood – 1,400 Households
- Sharon Neighborhood – 1,600 Households
- Sharon Park Neighborhood – 1,200 Households
- Stonewood Neighborhood – 1,200 Households
- Suncrest Neighborhood – 2,000 households
- Sunset Heights East Neighborhood – 1,000 households
- Sunset Heights West Neighborhood – 1,200 households
- Timpview Neighborhood – 1,400 households
- Windsor Neighborhood – 1,600 households
The primary draw to these Orem neighborhoods is Utah Valley University. The university itself along with the University Mall account for most of the attractions in Orem. There are also plenty of shops, theaters, and restaurants to explore in the area. Then there’s all of Provo Canyon, which is less than a twenty-minute drive from anywhere in Orem.
Just west of Orem lies Utah Lake State Park and a collection of other reservoirs. Anyone with a love for boating has instant access to the natural beauty and recreational opportunities the land has to offer. Orem is a beautiful city with mountains, lakes, reservoirs, resorts, deserts, national parks, and shopping, all within reach in a matter of minutes.
Orem Neighborhood Map
Orem Crime Rates
Here’s some good news: Orem is known for being a safe, secure neighborhood. City-Data.com gives Orem a crime rate of 136, which is two times less than the US national average. Majority of crimes committed are non-violent crimes where 81.1% are thefts and 7.6% are burglaries.
Orem Schools and Scores
If you’re moving to Orem with children, choosing where to send them to school is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. There are plenty of serious questions to answer before choosing an area to live in:
- Where will your kids go to school?
- How good is the school compared to other schools nearby?
- Does the school specialize in a certain subject? Will my children enjoy that?
These and other questions deserve answers. So we’ve done the hard work for you and put together a directory list of all the schools in Orem, UT including both public and private charter schools. You can learn more about each school on their respective websites included in the directory list, but the most important data can all be found here. There are:
- 19 total elementary schools: 15 public, 3 private, 1 charter
- 3 total junior high/middle schools: all public
- 11 total high schools: 6 public, 4 private, and 1 charter
- 3 total K-12 schools: 1 public for the deaf and blind, 1 private, and 1 charter
- Five accredited colleges
Cost to Own a Home in Orem
In recent data, the rate of home ownership in Orem is 60%. The estimated average home price or condo value in Orem is currently $272,000 for a medium home with three bedrooms and three bathrooms.
We recommend checking out Zillow’s Home Buying Guide for help step-by-step when it comes time to buy a home.
Cost to Rent in Orem
While 60% of residents in Orem are home owners, recent data shows that 40% of residents are renters. While overall rent prices are considered higher when compared to the national average, the average cost to rent a 2-bedroom apartment in Orem is $943 per month according to 2021 rent data.
Median monthly rental prices in Orem:
- Studio – $819
- 1-bedroom – $874
- 2-bedroom – $996
- 3-bedroom – $1,425
- 4-bedroom – $1,724
Cost of Living in Orem, UT
We always recommend asking locals about the cost of living. It’s the best way to determine how much you’ll be spending on rent, groceries, gas, and the rest of your expenses.
The cost of living index can also help determine whether an area is affordable to move to. In Orem, the cost of living index tends to sit around 86. According to 2021 data via Salary.com, cost of living in Orem, UT is 4.4% less than the National Average, meaning it’s generally cheaper to live in Orem than it is in most cities across the US. That’s great news when you’re moving to Orem!
Things to Do in Orem
There’s more to do in Orem than you may think! You can visit:
- Hale Center Theater
- Sundance Resort
- Bridal Veil Falls
- Murdock Canal Trail
- University Place Shopping Mall
- Scera Shell Outdoor Theater
- Provo Beach
- The Shops at Riverwoods
- Owlz baseball games
Orem Attraction Resources
- TripAdvisor List
- List of Attractions
- Yelp List
- Groupon List
- Utah Valley List
- Fun Things to Do With Kids
Orem Commuting and Public Transit
Easy access to places nearby and reasonable commuting times can make or break a living location when you decide where to make your home. According to Walkscore.com for Orem, the city has a walk score of 43, a transit score of 33, and a bike score of 58. That means you’ll likely need a car to run most errands around the city. Below are some of the estimated time frames travelling from Orem to the nearest cities or attractions:
Commuting Times from Orem to Nearby Cities:
- Provo – 15 minutes
- Lehi – 20 minutes
- Sandy – 35 minutes
- Salt Lake City – 45 minutes
- Bountiful – 50 minutes
- Ogden – 1 hour 10 minutes
- Logan – 2 hours
- St. George – 3 hours 35 minutes
Travel Time From Orem to Major Attractions and National Parks:
- Park City – 57 minutes
- St. George – 3 hours 35 minutes
- Bear Lake – 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yellowstone – 5 hours 11 minutes
- Zion National Park – 4 hours
- Arches National Park – 3 hours
- Canyonlands National Park – 3 hours 15 minutes
- Capitol Reef National Park – 3 hours
- Bryce Canyon National Park – 3 hours 30 minutes
Resources for Planning and Using Public Transit:
Reserving Cheap Storage Units in Orem
If you’re moving to Orem or anywhere else, then you should seriously consider reserving self-storage in Orem that’s affordable and convenient. It could take days, weeks, or months to find the perfect neighborhood, and you can arrange for a cheap self-storage unit that will through our own Neighbor app that provides the guarantee that your belongings will be protected while you continue the search for your new home. You need something cheap, flexible, and conveniently located — and Neighbor Storage is the perfect solution when you’re moving to Orem. Let the prices below speak for themselves.
If you’re moving to Orem and needing to rent a storage unit, Neighbor provides storage at affordable rates, secure locations, and available on-demand so you can get a unit anytime, every time. Find cheap Orem self-storage or rent out your extra space on Neighbor and become a host, earning extra monthly income.
Orem Moving Guide Conclusion: Home Sweet Home?
You can literally move anywhere in the United States. Did you know that, according to a Pew Research Center survey, 37% of Americans have never lived outside their hometown and 57% have never lived outside their home state? But don’t fall into those statistics. Be a traveler, explorer, or nomad of USA suburbia! Why not try moving to Orem, Utah? If not, then explore other new neighborhoods near you and settle when you have found the city that fits your vibe.
Additional Moving Resources
Moving and Packing Items
- How to Move a Couch
- How to Move a Mattress
- How to Move a Refrigerator
- How to Move a Piano
- How to Move a Pool Table
- How to Pack Shoes for Moving
- How to Pack Dishes and Glasses
Other Moving Resources
- Ultimate Moving Checklist
- Where to Find Free Moving Boxes
- Tips for Hiring Movers and Packers
- How Much to Tip Movers
- Should you Stage your Home When Selling?
- Change of Address Checklist
- Moving with Kids
- Moving with a Dog
- Ultimate Guide to Unpacking
Make $50-$500 each month renting your garage, driveway, shed or other storage spaceList Your Space